Ok don’t be afraid. Seriously. Don’t!
It’s couscous. Breathe. Are you breathing?
Even if you don’t eat couscous there are some legit reasons you should consider this dish:
- Not all carbs are evil. Not even all starches are evil. Especially once you are further out and are cleared to incorporate them into your daily eating.
- Your family will eat this. That is if they are not uber-picky eaters. If they are…well…they may not eat this. But if you have a relatively open-minded family member who just doesn’t get enough veggies, you need to make this for them.
- Extending on point #2 even if you picked the veggies out of the couscous and combined with protein guess what? You and your family are eating the same thing at the same time! How often does that happen?
So back to the couscous. The roasted veggies are the essential piece here. If you aren’t sure the best way to roast veggies, check out my super simple guide. Here we have a collection of: red onions, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots and eggplant.
From there, this thing is such a ridiculously simple semi-homemade deal, it’s not even funny.
I personally combine my roasted veggies with cooked, boxed couscous (usually I get the olive oil flavored or parmesan, but watch the sodium!) and top with a protein. Sometimes I get fancy and roast some garlic with my veggies, which I dice up and put into the mixture which is so good you literally want to slap somebody. BAM!
Dinner in 40 minutes or less. 75% of my household loves this and it doesn’t stress me out in the least to make it.
That’s gotta be worth something, right?
- 10 oz box of storebought couscous (in whatever flavor you like)
- oil or butter as per package directions, but can be omitted if saving fat
- 2-3 cups roasted vegetables
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- fresh shaved Paremsan cheese (optional)
- 1 lb. diced cooked chicken breast or other protein cut into small pieces
- Cook couscous according to package directions.
- Add roasted vegetables to pot while couscous is still hot (especially if you are using pre-cooked, cooled veggies). You can also add your protein at this point. Some ideas aside from chicken are diced cooked pork, salmon, or shrimp.
- Toss with whatever seasonings you like and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.