So you may have heard of this holiday…St. Patrick’s Day? I keep hearing about a guy who drove snakes out of Ireland but I’m pretty sure the holiday is about wearing green, drinking ale and being promiscuous (if the Baltimore bar scene can be trusted to tell the tale).
You guys have been thinking about St. Paddy’s Day for a while. Know how I can tell. Because beginning in JANUARY many of you have emailed me asking if I have a protein version of the “Shamrock Shake.”
And yes I do! But before I give you the recipe I have to say that this is what I call a “dessert shake,” meaning it’s a bit higher in calories than a 100% upstanding protein shake might be but it’s meant to replace an even WORSE choice you could make. It’s still way less calories than an actual Shamrock Shake with no added sugar, very little fat and a LOT of protein. But don’t drink this everyday, k? It’s a WLS-friendly indulgence.
In addition to the recipe below, here are few suggestions about how to approach this puppy:
- For protein: like Bariatric Pal Protein One in Creamy French Vanilla
- For the syrup, you can use either Peppermint Paddy or Peppermint syrup (since you are using vanilla syrup)
- I get my sugar-free chocolate chips at Wal-Mart 🙂
- 4 oz. milk (whatever kind you use)
- 1 serving vanilla protein
- 2 tbsp. sugar-free Davinci Peppermint Paddy syrup
- 5-8 drops green food coloring
- 3-5 ice cubes
- 2 tbsp. low-cal whipped topping
- 4-5 sugar-free chocolate chips
- Combine milk, protein, syrup and food coloring in your blender. Blend about 45 seconds, or until frothy.
- Add food coloring and ice cubes and blend again until ice is crushed. Top with whipped topping and chocolate chips, if desired.
I don't have a way to blend at work, can you just use a blender bottle and pour over ice?
I'd wait until you get home. It's worth the wait! But no…I personally would not. The shake gets its appeal from the texture, the taste and the color, all of which are hard to replicate in a blender bottle.
But for a nice, minty shake, you can definitely add some to a bottle and shake it up!
do you work at an office? I have one of these at mine to make my shakes: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-51101B-Personal-Blender/dp/B0017XHSAE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362603296&sr=8-2&keywords=hamilton+beach+single+serve
I tweaked this, since I have no SF chocolate bits – so i substituted a half tablespoon of SF chocolate syrup (Torani) in mine – and it still hit the mark! (Laura – I was lucky – one of my co-workers brought her Magic Bullet into work and kept it in the kitchen to share with those of us who wanted to "shake it up" at work!)
OMG>? This sounds better then se* ,,, 🙂 Can't wait to try. I have everything in the house except the choc chips.
OMG this looks soooo flipping GOOD!!!!
At what point do you put the chocolate chips in?
And it says this is four servings… what’s the nutrition facts per serving? With only 1 oz of milk in one serving, is it very tiny?
Hey Amy! Thanks for pointing out the four servings. An update to my recipe software caused a glitch that just randomly does that and I didn’t even notice this recipe was affected! I fixed it.
That said, I do not give nutrition info for my recipes but if you think about making it, be sure to plug the ingredients you plan to use in your favorite recipe calculator!