I just love it when you guys play with your food and let me know about it. It’s so exciting to see what you’re cooking up.
My pal Dee Dee sent this to me to show her first attempt at working with TVP (“What the heck is TVP?”). It looks yummy, vegetarian-friendly (correct me if I’m wrong) and easy to make!
Thank you, Dee Dee, for this scrumptious recipe!
Dee Dee’s Cheesy Squash and TVP Casserole
- 3 zucchini squash, sliced thin
- 2 yellow squash, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin (you might want to go with a white onion since the veggies will sweeten up a bit from cooking)
- 1 c. Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
- 1 c. + 1/2 c. whatever cheese you like (she used an assortment from her fridge that included cheddar, mozzarella, Italian blend and Parmesan)
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Garlic salt & black pepper, to taste
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl (using one cup of your cheese) and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. This allows some of the water to come out of the veggies, rehydrating the TVP and allowing it to soak up the flavor of the veggies.
Spray a casserole dish down with non-stick cooking spray (Dee Dee used an 8×8 dish) and transfer mixture into it. Bake for one hour.
Turn off the oven, cover with another generous sprinkle of cheese and and allow it to remain in the oven as it cools.