If you’re reading this post, it’s probably hurricane season, and there’s probably a storm headed your way. During emergencies you hear the standard issue “water, bread, milk, toilet paper, flashlight” advice, but I thought I’d also share the WLS-specific items in my emergency pantry.
Here are a few things you might stock up on if you are hunkering down for a storm.
For protein shakes
- These days you can get lots of shelf-stable, ready-to-drink options. I’d suggest getting a variety. Cream-based ones like Premier Protein work well. My go-to clear drink is BiPro Protein Water. All are shelf stable and last a really long time.
- If you are a person who likes to make their own protein drinks, your best bet is some sort of shelf-stable milk.
- Shelf-stable milk (pictured above). It’s usually in the same aisle as cereal. While it does not need to be refrigerated so long as it is unopened, once it’s open you need to use it because it will go bad after a while. My advice? They make these in 4 oz. boxes (that look like juice boxes), so pick yourself up a pack of those. They make them in every kind of milk (soy, almond, cow’s).(Actually that’s a good idea no matter what.) And, Obviously, protein powder of some sort. Here’s my current favorite kind.
- A blender bottle. And my suggestion is the one with the wire ball just because I find it mixes more thoroughly.
Protein Snacks/Other Foods
Even the most avid protein shake lover gets tired of them after a while. Here are a few other snacks that keep well that you can stock up on:
- Turkey Jerky (here’s my favorite kind)
- Dried, roasted edamame (or my current obsession…roasted broad beans)
- Turkey pepperoni
- Peanut butter and low-calorie rice cakes
- Canned tuna and/or chicken (and if you can get your hands on packets of light mayo and/or mustard that helps as well)
- Soy crisps (although don’t go crazy with these!)
- TVP (can be mixed with water/seasonings to sub for ground meat in a pinch. If you’re saying “what’s that?” click here)
- Protein bars (if you can find Quest, they are great on the stats and I also suggest Pure Protein)