What’s a base recipe?
If you don’t bake a lot, you may be wondering this.
A base recipe is a core set of ingredients and a core method for mixing them, to which you can add or subtract ingredients to yield different flavors.
So all that is to say…you add one set of stuff to this recipe and you get one kind of cookie. If you add another set of stuff to this recipe, you get another kind of cookie.
Not all bakers use base recipes but I do. Why? Several reasons:
- It cuts down on the amount of ingredients I have to buy.
- I like most of my cookies the same texture, and this yields a similar texture for each cookie baked.
- For small-batch cookies especially, figuring out how to downsize ingredients can be difficult (it took me nearly 25 batches of cookies to come up with this base recipe!). Why put yourself through that again and again?
So I’m giving you the base recipe for all the cookies in the 2018 No-Flour, Sugar-Free Cookie Collection so that you can…play with your food!
Here are just a few suggestions of what you can do:
- Absolutely nothing! And if you do that, and freeze your cookie dough until it’s nice and firm, you can roll it between two sheets of parchment and have no-flour, sugar-free rollout cookies!
- Add 1/4 c. sugar-free pancake syrup and 1/3 c. sugar-free chocolate chips and have chocolate chip cookies! (Add in 1 additional tbsp. of almond flour to offset the increase in wet ingredients)
- You can sub in 1/4 c. of oatmeal and 1/4 tsp. each of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, along with 1/4 c. of raisins to make an oatmeal raisin cookie
The key here is to think small. Whatever you add to this recipe, you don’t need but 1/4 c. or so of it in order to keep your proportions right and yield a batch of dough that only produces 10-12 cookies.
Want all the cookies?
There are lots more Bariatric Foodie no-flour, low-sugar cookie recipes and you can get them all in one handy download! Order Cookies! The Complete Bariatric Foodie Cookie Collection, a PDF e-book featuring every cookie recipe from every collection! Proceeds from the sale of this cookie book help keep Bariatric Foodie (and the cookie recipes) flowing!