I just want you all to know…I have been trying to crack the code on candy corn flavored stuff for YEARS. I’m not super passionate about it myself. I’m not one of those “CANDY CORN” people. (You know what I’m talking about. It’s that person whose eyes get all round like saucers when they see candy corn.) In my former life I was more like “Oh? Candy corn. Groovy.” And if I felt like it I’d take some. If I didn’t, I’d pass.
But some of you guys REALLY love the stuff, but alas this is one of those recipes where I have to go all Alton Brown on you a little bit because to understand how this dessert works, you need to know why it works. Bear with me.
Three things going on with candy corn:
- The flavor: sugary, slightly corny/buttery
- The color: that classic orange, yellow, white combo
- The shape: I’ve heard them called “little pyramids of love” (I wouldn’t call it that but I’ve heard it)
So long story short: it is my belief (and you guys have proven this somewhat with your reactions to my recipes over the years) that if you can replicate at least TWO of the things that make a dish taste the way it does, it tends to be received well. In this, as you can see, I’ve chosen to replicate the color and the flavor.
The first thing you want to do is make up a batch of vanilla protein pudding. But wait! Before you click on that link there’s a few things you need to do to it. In addition to the protein powder (Chike Very Vanilla in this instance) and BEFORE you add the milk you need to add one of the following options:
- For those who are sensitive to sweetness: 1/4 tsp each imitation butter flavor & imitation maple flavoring.
- For those who want a bit of sweet in your life: 2 tbsp butter-flavored sugar-free pancake syrup. (Don’t freak about the calories. My syrup has a serving size of 1/4 cup which is 30 calories. 2 tbsp = 1/8 c. = half of a quarter cup = 15 calories spread out across a BIG bowl of pudding. K?)
Like this article?
There's more where that came from. Subscribe to my e-mail list to get the good stuff straight to your inbox!