I have noticed that since I committed to doing meatless Fridays in Lent that I have been eating a LOT more fish/seafood. Interesting.
One of my favorite things to make when I don’t want to fuss in the kitchen is tuna burgers. They come together easily (seriously…they take like 5 minutes to mix up a batch), are simple to cook and the only limit to the flavors is your own imagination.
I personally can’t do hamburgers (not even turkey…something about the coming together of ground meat seems to offend my pouch). I can do bites of a hamburger but even if I make a teeny one it doesn’t go so well. Tuna burgers give me the opportunity to sandwich something between two pieces of (low-carb, whole-grain) bread and eat it.
So for my offering today I present:
Nikki’s Spicy Cajun Tuna Burger
1 can of tuna (do not drain)
¼ cup textured vegetable protein (TVP), dry (if you are saying to yourself, “what is TVP?” click here)
1 egg white
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tbsp Cajun spice blend
Optional: chopped onions or scallions
- Empty the contents of tuna can into a bowl and add TVP. Mix well and let stand for a few minutes so that the TVP can soak up the excess moisture
- Add all spices and mix well again.
- Add egg whites and mix again. If mixture seems too wet, add a tablespoon or so more TVP and mix
- Heat a sprayed skillet. Take up some of your tuna mixture and form a patty. There will be some excess liquid and the mixture will be somewhat loose, Trust me, it’ll hold together.
- Place the patty in the skillet and cook about 2 minutes or so. GENTLY flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve!
I eat mine on a whole-wheat Arnold Sandwich Thin with shredded cheese of some sort (sort of a tuna melt type deal) but it is also good as a wrap and you can also make tuna “meatballs” if you are newer post-op and can’t eat a whole patty. I think it’d also be fun to do tuna sliders…but that’s because I’m weird like that.
Re-published some content with new tags to make it easier to find so some stuff may look out of place!