And what does October mean? PUMPKINS!!!! (Ok, forgive me…I had a lot of coffee this morning AND I took my B12 shot so I may be a bit hyper.)
This month we are going to celebrate all things pumpkin. I’ll be highlighting classic pumpkin recipes already on the blog, sharing new ones and lifting up YOUR favorite pumpkin recipes.
So let’s start with Kyle’s pumpkin bread, shall we?
Kyle’s Protein Pumpkin Bread
- 1 1/3 c whole wheat flour (if you wanted to bump the protein up a bit, you could also use Atkins Baking Mix)
- 1 c. no-calorie sweetener (Kyle used Splenda)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or you can mix cinnamon, ginger, clove spices together to get the desired pumpkin pie flavoring)
- 12 oz. canned pumpkin (NOT PUMPKIN PIE FILLING. Kyle used most of a large can since it was leftover from shakes but use however much you want to taste)
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder (Kyle uses Body Fortress. When Nik makes protein pumpkin bread she uses Any Whey, which is formulated for cooking.)
- 1/4 c. no-sugar added applesauce
Mix all ingredients except applesauce together. Add applesauce and mix again.
Pour into 8×4 greased loaf pan (Nik Note: to save a few calories on the pan greasing, go to Wal-Mart and buy a can of cake release spray!). Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Kyle didn’t mention how it freezes (perhaps she’ll be so kind as to leave a comment about it) but from the looks of it, I think it would do quite well, especially sliced. When I make protein pumpkin or protein banana bread I always use my hand-dandy vacuum sealer to freeze up slices. Cuz Nik don’t like the fuzz.
Anyhoo…thank you, Kyle! You’ve given us a fine start to our pumpkin celebration!
Share this Recipe
ohhh I love pumpkin and I am doing similar pumpkin experiments in my kitchen! =) I love fall!
I dont know how it freezes cause I have never froze my Banana Bread so havent thought to freeze my pumpkin bread. I also used cooking spray rather than butter to grease the pan. Pumpkin away my friends!!! 🙂
Does this use pumpkin puree or the canned pumpkin pie stuff? I assume puree because the other has a ton of sugar in it. Can't wait to try this recipe out!
You assume correct! Her recipe calls for pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
I'm assuming 350 degrees, but there's no temp in recipe…
Good catch! Yes, when all else fails, 350 is usally the temp. And it would also work here.
Can you sub in carbquik in for the flour or arrowhead mills Multigrain pancake mix? Thanks
Could you sub carbquik for flour? If so same amt or no? Thanks would luv to try it..
I'm not sure as I've not made this particular recipe myself but in theory it should work.