What is it? Oh, yeah well there is that. This…my friends, is chicken pot pie a la Nik. It takes every bit as yummy (dare I say yummier?) than that Banquet stuff but it’s nutritionally beneficial.
FOR THE CARB POLICE: there is a minimal amount of potato in this. Just a little. But I’m sorry. I got better things to do with my time than pick potatoes out of a can of mixed veggies. Besides, potatoes are not the devil. Brocolli/Cheese sauce, bacon, full-fat sour cream and the like are! (Kidding)
Chicken Pot Pie a la Nik
Two 6 oz. chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 small onion diced
2 cans mixed vegetables, drained and rinsed
1 jar Heinz fat-free chicken gravy
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Carbquik
2 tablespoons Blue Bonnet Light
3/4 c. skim milk
1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
1. Spray a pan with cooking spray and cook chicken until done through, seasoning lightly.
2. Transfer chicken to a casserole dish and then sautee mixed veggies in chicken leavings.
3. Combine chicken and veggies and mix in chicken gravy thoroughly.
4. In a bowl combine all crust ingredients except cheese. Mix well. Add cheese and mix again.
5. Spread Carbquik mixture over chicken mixture in an even layer.
6. Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes and serve hot!
I say eat this when you are sick because it is the epitome of comfort food–without the guilt! The Carbquik has so few carbs, the gravy is fat free, the chicken is lean and you’ve rinsed a good deal of the sodium off the canned veggies. Quick, hella tasty, and healthy–THAT my friends is comfort food. Food you feel comfortable eating.