True fact: What you see above? I made in 20 minutes this morning while the kids were feeding the dog. And it will be my lunch probably for the entire week.
This is the story of how a simple bag of frozen cauliflower became so much more…
- About 1.5 c. of whatever veggies you have on hand, chopped small and COLD (in the above I chopped up some baby carrots, onions and threw in some shelled edamame for a bit more protein. When I say cold, I mean cold. They can even be frozen. Go for color variety!)
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower florets (do not thaw!)
- 1 small can baby shrimp, drained.
- 2 eggs, beaten OR 1/2 c. Egg Beaters
- 1 packet fried rice seasoning OR 1/2 tsp each: garlic powder & onion powder with 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. reduced sodium soy sauce
I did this in a wok. I highly recommend you do too. Ikea. $7. Very cheap. BUT with a wok I have a piece of advice. Pre-chop before you start cooking. Woks cook very fast. We don’t want any “incidents.” That’s all I’m saying about that. 🙂
Spray down your wok (or non-stick skillet if you don’t have a wok) GENEROUSLY with non-stick cooking spray.
Then throw in the rest of your veggies and your lil’ baby shrimp and get them cooking (about 3 minutes or so). Be sure to mix the mashed cauliflower and veggies together.
Once that’s done push everything aside a bit, spray down the empty space with more non-stick and add your egg. Scramble it before mixing it into the veggie mixture. (Admittedly the above is not the best photo but my wooden spoon is scrambling the egg while the other stuff is pushed to the side. So it can be done!)
It doesn’t bug me. I’m more into the taste. Which is gooooooooood. Your mileage may vary. If you feel the softer cauliflower will ruin your memories of fried rice and scar you for life…consider skipping this one, k?
Like this article?
There's more where that came from. Subscribe to my e-mail list to get the good stuff straight to your inbox!