This past weekend I held a BBQ for Baltimore-area Foodies.
It was GREAT! My friend Margaret offered up her “ranch” (aka beautiful home
near Frederick, MD) for the event and we all brought a WLS-friendly dish to
BF has a readership across the U.S. (and, according to the Google, around the
world) and there are many Foodies who simply cannot be there. And unfortunately
I don’t have the resources to come to each and every one of you!
comes out of the live events I do in hopes that you guys pick up a new recipe
that you love. In the spirit of this, I am sharing as many recipes as I can
from the BBQ.
First up is Julia’s Jerk Shrimp &Caribbean Quinoa Salad (for a quick tutorial on quinoa, click here). Julia is a Foodie but she’s
also someone I correspond with locally through a coffee meet-up group I belong
to. She’s been making this salad a while, mentioning it for a while. So I had
to INSIST she bring this as her dish to pass at the BBQ.
what I call “spice-ful” (meaning it has spices that don’t burn your tongue and
you can taste those spices). It also had a sweet/savory combo flavor going on
that I really liked!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled & de-veined
- 2-1/2 tablespoons jerk seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup each, chopped: strawberries, green grapes, mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits in juice (juice reserved)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Caribbean vinaigrette: 3 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice, 3 tablespoons lemon juice (one lemon), 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, jerk seasoning to taste
Like this article?
There's more where that came from. Subscribe to my e-mail list to get the good stuff straight to your inbox!